Sustainability is a key topic for every aspect of our daily life. Sustainability at the nail salon is certainly a topic that is being focussed on with modern qualifications.
We ALL need to be aware of the future of our planet, and we should each take a certain responsibility for helping to save it.
There are many ways we can do this and we should be aware of how:
- Glass bottles. Several companies are now providing the resource of returning glass bottles for reuse. (This website avoids mentioning brands but an easy search will show several companies that offer this service)
- Disposable paper products are becoming more costly due to the general price rises and paper shortage. Make sure you only buy such products from sustainable sources. Ask your supplier if they provide such products.
- There are many items we use that are made from wood. Brushes of all descriptions for example. Make sure the wood comes from sustainable sources.
- Avoid plastics as much as possible (apart from nail coatings).
- Use hygiene products that are kind to the environment.
- Most glitters are plastic. These cannot be avoided, but wasting them can so use them economically. There are some bio-degradable versions available now!
- When washing towels or other items of laundry, set your washing machine to an eco-level and hang them on a clothesline to dry whenever you get the chance. Clean your dryer’s lint filter before every use to reduce drying time.
- Avoid rinsing dishes, cups, and cutlery before putting them in the dishwasher, to reduce the amount of water spent.
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs, and make sure to turn off lights in staff/break rooms, storage rooms, and vacant treatment rooms. Or invest in installing fixtures that are activated by a motion detector.
- Cut back on waste by buying larger-sized products, for example, nail supplies, cleaning products, and other salon necessities. These can then be decanted into smaller, reusable containers for ease at the nail desk. Buying larger-sized products cuts business costs but also minimizes the packaging used and pollution caused when transporting goods to your salon on a regular basis.
- When purchasing more of a product that you have previously used, buy refill packs where possible.
- Use less water by transitioning to waterless services.
All brands, distributors, and suppliers can be asked if they ethically source sustainable products. We live in a wasteful and disposable society that is putting our Earth at risk. Be aware and try your best to help the situation.
Remember, it is a very good marketing point that you or your salon take the problem seriously! Many like to promote vegan and cruelty-free. Add sustainability to this ethical message!